Hey guys !! I’m back with another blog and I must say that the last month and this one have been quite hectic for me. I started to foster a stray. She is 3 and is a mixed breed and I am guessing that she is partly fox hound. She used to live with my friend until she had to move to someplace else and couldn’t take her with her. When my friend had first met her, she was hurt and had to be treated immediately. So my friend, took care of her day and night and would not sleep without her. She decided to name her ‘starlight’. And now, just a month ago, she had to leave her as she was moving away. Starlight was really sad that she could not see my friend again. She would not eat, drink, or get up. She was hurting. That is when I tried to help her and keep her. Let me tell you keeping a dog is a lot of work. Here are something’s that helped me when I started to keep starlight :
1) Give your dog a nice and dry place to sleep in. Starlight sleeps in my balcony as she likes it. I have given her a good cloth to sleep on. Since my mom doesn’t like dogs, she can’t come inside my house. But I convinced my mom enough that she would let me keep her. That also means that I can only spend a limited amount on her supplies. Like her necessities.
2) if you can’t buy dog food ( Like me, as my mom won’t allow), it is very important for a dog to get good nutrition or else unhealthy eating habits can lead to obesity. I do give starlight dog food but it is only enough to give as a snack cause I can buy only 1 pack per month. So, I mostly give her an egg and a big cup of milk. This way, she gets protein and calcium.( wow ! I didn’t even know that I knew words like calaium and protain sorry what was it again ??? Eh……..anyways)
2) now being clean is also a very important part in a dogs life, so, you must make sure that you have proper dog shampoo for your dog. The best dog shampoo you can buy is one that is tick and flea free. I give starlight a bath 3 times a month as she doesn’t need much. Here are the things that you need to keep in mind while bathing your dog :
i) gently pour water on their body so that they become comfortable with it.
ii) use your dog shampoo and rub gently while covering their limbs and full body.
iii) make sure that water doesn’t get into their ears.
iv) do not rub too much as your dog might get agitated.
v) try to do it in a closed place.
In my case, starlight does not like leashes and I cannot keep her inside my bathroom to give her a bath. So, I have to run around for an hour to actually give her a complete bath.
3) now, to give your dog a good gift, buy it a collar. They love collars, my dog was happy for 4 hours and she kept jumping . This is also means that your dog can now roam around anywhere without being taken by animal control. Hehe that would have been nasty.
4) make fixed time for meals and poops. I feed my dog 2 times a day. I give her her first meal at 2:30 pm and take her to poop exactly after 20 mins. I give her a cup of milk and egg for the first meal. I give her her second meal at 9:30 pm which includes milk egg and a little bit of dog food which she loves . I take her for another bathroom break after 20 mins.
5) I cannot buy snacks as I told you, so, I give starlight biscuits. Dogs love biscuits. Also make sure that you are not feeding them too much human food as it is not very nutritious for them.
That is all that you need to take care of in the first few days of getting used to your dog.
Starlight is really calm an doesn’t say much but at the same time she is really mischievous. At night, I once left her leash outside with her and the next morning when I woke up it was torn and I could only see the hook part of it. She also took it ends and hid them. Honestly I still cannot find that leash.
That is all for today guys hope you liked this blog. Get this blog to 15 likes to get a picture of starlight to see. Keep clean and take a bath.